A minha Lista de blogues

terça-feira, 1 de maio de 2012

May 2012 Newsletter


© Clever Pants 2011



This month we invite you to celebrate the forthcoming London Olympics with a gruelling Pentathlon of activities! Firstly, warm up with some great feelgood quotes, then take a hop, skip and jump through some sporty idioms. Next, take the plunge in our Olympic sized quiz.

Finally... if you still have enough puff, go for gold with a hearty rendition of “We are the Champions”by Queen.



Feelgood quotes to make you smile!
"There is only one success - to spend your life in your own way."

Christopher Morley



"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."

Martha Washington



"Whoever is happy will make others happy too. He who has courage and faith will never perish in misery.”

Anne Frank



"I'm so optimistic I'd go after Moby Dick in a row boat and take the tartar sauce with me."

Zig Ziglar



"The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one does."

James M. BarrieC




Sporty idioms!

With the London Olympics fast approaching, how about some sporty idioms for May?



idiom (n): an expression, word, or phrase that has a figurative meaning that is separate from the literal meaning or definition of the words of which it is made.




Skate on thin ice

To do something risky, take a chance.

“You’re skating on thin ice my friend! If you miss one more exam you will fail the whole year!”



Be on the ball

To be able to react quickly.

“It’s really important that you’re on the ball when driving at night or in bad weather conditions.”



Be out of someone's league

Not as good as someone.

"I'd like to date Maria, but I'm afraid I'm out of her league."



The ball is in your court

It's your decision or responsibility to do something now.

“Nobody can make this decision for you. The ball is in your court so you have to make up your own mind what happens next.”



Hit below the belt

Do or say something that is very unfair or cruel.

“I know he doesn’t work very hard, but telling him that he is totally useless is a bit below the belt, isn’t it?”



Learn the ropes

Understand new things.

“The first week of a new job is usually just learning the ropes.”



Keep one's head above water

Try not to fall behind in work or other duties

“I’m so busy at the moment it’s a challenge just to keep my head above water!”




  

Song: Queen - We are the Champions!





I've paid my dues
Time after time
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime
And bad mistakes
I've made a few
I've had my share of sand kicked in my face,
But I've come through

We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting - till the end
We are the champions -
We are the champions
No time for losers
‘Cause we are the champions - of the world!

I've taken my bows
And my curtain calls.
You brought me fame and fortune and
everything that goes with it,
I thank you all!
But it's been no bed of roses
No pleasure cruise.
I consider it a challenge before the
whole human race,
And I ain't gonna lose!


Match the lyrics from the song to their meanings below.


1. I’ve finished my punishment.

2. I’ve finished.

3. It hasn’t been easy. x2

4. I’ve done everything asked of me.

5. I’ve done encores.

6. I’ve survived.



Glossary:

fame and fortune - celebrity status and money.

losers - people who don’t succeed.

‘cause - informal; because.

ain’t - informal; am not/is notET


 The text was taken from:


© Clever Pants 2011



Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário