A minha Lista de blogues

quinta-feira, 2 de fevereiro de 2012

February 2012 Newsletter

© Clever Pants 2011
www.clever-pants.com

 Idioms and all that jazz..!
This month we’re taking a melodic look at some musical idioms... what’s that? It’s music to your ears..?

Idiom: (n). an expression, word or phrase that has a figurative meaning that is separate from the literal meaning or definition of the words of which it is made.
.
and all that jazz!
This idiom means that everything related or similar is included.
“She wants to buy shoes and dresses and all that jazz.”

Blow your own trumpet!
If someone blows their own trumpet, they boast about their talents and achievements.
“I don’t want to blow my own trumpet, but nobody could
do this better!”

Change your tune!
If someone changes their ideas or the way they talk about them, they change their tune.
“Last week you said you loved him and now you can’t stand him. you’ve certainly changed your tune!”

Face the music!
If you have to face the music, you have to accept the negative consequences of something you have done wrong.
“You’ve got away with this behavour for too long. It’s time to face the music.”

As fit as a fiddle!
If you are as fit as a fiddle, you are in perfect health.
“I went to the doctor for a checkup and he told me I’m as fit as a fiddle!”

Music to my ears!
If something someone says is music to your ears, it is exactly what you had wanted to hear.
“When she told me I was going to be a judge in the chocolate cake competition, it was music to my ears!”

March to the beat of your own drum!
If people march to the beat of their own drum, they do things the way they want without taking other people into consideration.
“You shouldn’t always try to please everybody all the time. You have to learn to march to the beat of your own drum.”


Thriller- The 39 Steps


The 39 Steps is a tense spy thriller, set in Britain in 1935. It was based on a book by John Buchan. It is full of danger, excitement and adventure. It was directed by Alfred Hitchcock, a very celebrated British director, who made many well-known films such as The Birds and Psycho.
Actor Robert Donat plays a man who meets a beautiful woman, and then finds out that she is a spy. He wants to help her, but she is killed and he must go on the run and try to uncover a secret network of evil spies! When he reveals the truth, there is a scandal and he is able to make a getaway.
The stars of the film won many awards.
If you like action packed films, you’ll love The 39 Steps!

Use the italic words in the text to answer the questions.
Can you find...?
a. A word that means “exciting”?
b. Two words that mean “famous”
c. A word that means “discover”?
d. Two words that mean “escape”?
e. A word that means“ main actors”?


Song - Someone Like You
Adele had the biggest hit of 2011 with her song

Someone Like You.

I heard that you're settled down
That you found a girl and you're married now.
I heard that your dreams came true.
Guess she gave you things I didn't give to
you.
Old friend, why are you so shy?
Ain't like you to hold back or hide from the
light.
I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited
But I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it.
I had hoped you'd see my face and that you'd
be reminded
That for me it isn't over.
Never mind, I'll find someone like you
I wish nothing but the best for you too
Don't forget me, I beg
I remember you said,
"Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it
hurts instead,
Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it
hurts instead, "
Yeah
You know how the time flies
Only yesterday was the time of our lives
We were born and raised
In a summer haze
Bound by the surprise of our glory days
I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited
But I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it.
I'd hoped you'd see my face and that you'd
be reminded
That for me it isn't over.
Never mind, I'll find someone like you
I wish nothing but the best for you too
Don't forget me, I beg
I remember you said,
"Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it
hurts instead."
Yeah
Nothing compares
No worries or cares
Regrets and mistakes
They are memories made.
Who would have known how bittersweet this
would taste?

Can you match the expressions in italics with their meanings?

1. The best moments we experienced.
2. In a long term relationship.
3. Time seems to pass very quickly.
4. Arrive without warning.
5. I hope only good things happen to you.
6. Grow up and become adults.
7. You got what you wanted.


The text was taken from:
© Clever Pants 2011

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário