A minha Lista de blogues

sábado, 10 de dezembro de 2011

December 2011 Newsletter




© Clever Pants 2011
Christmas quotes
In the festive spirit, this month we’re gifting you some inspirational words about Christmas

It’s not the gift but the thought that counts.
Henry van Dyke

Christmas is a time when you get homesick – even when you’re home.
 Carol Nelson

I once bought my kids a set of batteries for Christmas with a note on it saying “toys not included”.
Bernard Manning

Christmas gift suggestions:
To your enemy, forgiveness.
To an opponent, tolerance.
To a friend, your heart.
To a customer, service.
To all, charity.
To every child, a good example.
To yourself, respect.
Oren Arnold

Idioms - What a pain in the neck!

© Clever Pants 2011
This month we’re getting carried away with idioms related to parts of the body!



Idiom: (n). an expression, word or phrase that has a figurative meaning that is separate from the literal meaning or definition of the words of which it is made.



A pain in the neck

An annoying or bothersome person or event.

“Our customer is a pain in the neck and is always complaining about something.”


At each other's throats

Fighting or arguing all the time

“The two boys were at each other's throats when they entered the room.”



Shout at the top of your lungs

Shout with a very loud voice.

“I yelled at the top of my lungs to get the man's attention.”



Difficult to stomach

To be unable to accept someone, to be unable to accept something that you think is unpleasant or wrong.

It is difficult to stomach my friend when she begins to complain about things.



Eyes bigger than your stomach

Taking more food than one can eat.

“I took an extra helping from the buffet, but my eyes were bigger than my stomach, because I couldn't finish it!”


Give someone the cold shoulder

To be ignored or rejected (by someone).

“I saw Sarah the other day but she gave me the cold shoulder!”



Keep your chin up

To not allow oneself to get depressed or intimidated.

“Don't lose hope! Things will get better. You have to keep your chin up and be positive.”


A shoulder to cry on

Someone who you can tell your problems to and then ask for sympathy and advice.

“I gave my friend a shoulder to cry on when I met him at the coffee shop.”

………..
Did you know..?

In spoken English, especially in the USA and in songs, we use shorter, more informal ways of saying some things.
I am going to     I’m gonna
I don’t have       ain’t got no
I have                   I got / I´ve got

Nina Simone (1933-2003) was a popular U.S. Jazz singer in the 1960s and 1970s who was very involved with the American Civil Rights Movement.
The American Civil Rights Movement was when black people in the USA protested to have equal rights to white people.
Ain’t Got no/I Got Life was a song associated with the Civil Rights




The text was taken from
© Clever Pants 2011

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário